Thursday 21 November 2019

Lessons from Oliver DesBordes Acquah

It has been five years since my mentor left the earth. It was as shocking as it could be, considering the fact that we lost Richard Bagna, our other close pal in the "inner circle" a year earlier.

This year has been something else especially considering the happenings in the church the past two years. Well, it has not been easy, but the Vision lives on.

On this day and night, as I sit up to go through my thoughts, read notes and see if I am on course, I just want to share with you (in no particular order) some of the lessons my Papa thought me.

"Plan-Plan and Plan, because if fail to plan, you are actually planning to fail." he would say.
"If you plan and are not able to execute, you can at least look back to your plan and find out why you could not execute."

My Papa was excellent at that, each fifth year, he would come up with a five-year strategic plan for the church and you would find the pivot of the Vision and Mission of the Church well inscribed therein. The last one he did was for 2009  to 2014 (This was to launch the new era of the FGAI)

He thought me not to jump into a situation before planning.
He was a Brain Tracy! His main fight with me was to always think, plan, do and then evaluate.
He would never allow you to just get away with it.

The tendency to assume was something he would never accept.
It is the least form of knowledge for him. And he would insist that you communicate properly what you intend to do to your followers.

Communication was the life wire and blood of any group. Once the leader communicated properly he would succeed to get his followers to buy into the vision.

My papa would say, “If you want to be hawk, you must learn to bring out your claws when about to catch a chicken, your claws should be so out that you won’t miss”
This was his way of saying, “say what you mean and mean what you say

Don’t speak in such a way that people will think something else and then you have to come back and say, “What I meant was……”
Indeed, as the years go by, these have stuck with me ever since.

As this year marks the fifth anniversary of the man who was my Pastor, Mentor, Teacher, CEO and more, I would share more as the days go bye.

I will continue to say, Rest Well Sir…
Your Legacy will live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment